Sharing your life with the right person can feel like a dream come true. Unfortunately, sharing your bed with that person can sometimes be a nightmare. Figuring out how to sleep with a partner who tosses and turns can be tricky, but we can help.
How to Sleep with a Partner Who Tosses and Turns
Did you know that up to 15 percent of people are restless sleepers? If you’ve ever shared a bed with one of them, you know that it can be challenging. The person who tosses and turns all night doesn’t sleep well, their partner doesn’t sleep well, and everyone’s a little grumpier than they should be in the morning. Even worse, it can lead to frustration or guilt for both sleepers. Why can’t they just share a bed in peace?
The good news is that if they find the right bed and accessories, they probably can. Many people don’t realize that there are a lot of things you can do to improve your sleep, which will also make you an easier person to sleep beside. There are also changes you can make to your sleeping situation, such as finding the right mattress. Learning how to sleep next to a partner who tosses and turns might require a little trial and error, but you can find a way to make it work.
Consult with a Sleep Specialist
If you toss and turn or your partner is a restless sleeper, there may be all kinds of reasons for it. One of the easiest ways to find out exactly why it’s happening is to consult with a sleep specialist. This specialist can talk to you about how to improve sleep and also do sleep studies and other tests to help find out the problem. They’ll also be able to help you get treatment for any common sleep ailments that might be causing the issue, such as sleep apnea.
Improve Your Sleep Hygiene
If you don’t want to start off by seeing a sleep specialist, there are lots of other options you can try to improve your sleep. Sometimes, restless sleep can be caused by a lack of sleep hygiene. Make sure that you and your partner follow these tips:
- Limit your alcohol consumption, and try to avoid drinking caffeine in the latter half of the day.
- Commit to a regular bedtime and wake-up time, even on weekends. This helps your body adapt to sleeping on a schedule.
- Turn off artificial screens (phones, televisions, etc.) at least half an hour before bed.
- Make sure your sleep environment is comfortable, dark, and cool enough to drift off easily.
Get the Right Mattress
Whether you find the solution to your sleep partner’s restlessness or not, you’ll both be happier and more comfortable on the right mattress. If restless sleep is an issue for you, consider these options for your next mattress:
- If possible, purchase a mattress made of a material that doesn’t transfer motion easily, like a foam mattress or a mattress with comfort layers that muffle movement. A mattress professional can recommend a good mattress for limiting motion transference.
- Purchase a mattress that has enough space for both of you to stretch out comfortably, and also allows you to leave a little space in between. That way if your partner starts to move at night, they won’t nudge you awake.
- Consider other accessories, such as foam mattress toppers or a weighted blanket, that can help you sleep more soundly.
When making a plan for how to sleep with a partner who tosses and turns, the golden rule is the same as it is for any other relationship issue: Communication is key! Talk about how you can improve your sleep together, and make sure to take each other’s needs into consideration. Your nightmare sleep scenario will be a sweet dream again before you know it.
To explore top-quality mattresses for the whole family, stop by Beautyrest Sleep Gallery. At our locations in Springfield and Branson, Missouri, we provide an extensive selection of top-quality mattresses, including Beautyrest®, Serta iComfort®, Tempur-Pedic®, and Scandinavian Sleep Systems. A family-owned and -operated business that supports local charities, Beautyrest Sleep Gallery offers free local delivery and setup as well as a Best Price Guarantee. Shopping for a new mattress can be overwhelming, but with our wide variety of mattresses and expert sales staff, we can put your worries to rest. To get started, please visit us in store or explore our mattress selection online.