What’s creepy, crawly and lives in mattresses? Bed bugs! These creepy crawlers aren’t just for Halloween; they can infest your home and are a pain to get rid of. Although the thought of a bed bug infestation is bone-chilling, you can relax knowing there are ways you can prevent them from haunting your home!
First thing’s first- you need to understand that a bed bug infestation is not a sign of uncleanliness. Bed bugs can be found in even the cleanest homes and hotels. Because bed bugs are transferred through items and often go undetected, it’s important to treat and protect your home from infestations. Follow these steps to prevent bed bugs!
- If purchasing used furniture, be sure to inspect it for bed bugs prior to bringing it into your home. Furthermore, it’s wise to only purchase used furniture from a business with a bed bug prevention policy.
- Avoid placing items like bags, backpacks and suitcases on your bed to risk bugs transferring to your mattress.
- Each time you travel, be sure to check for signs of bed bugs in hotel mattresses. Look for the following signs of a bed bug infestation: a musty odor, tiny eggs, dark spots from the bug’s excrement, and the obvious—live bed bugs. If you notice any of these signs of infestation, contact hotel management right away.
- Because bed bugs can travel through walls and tiny spaces, it’s a good idea to seal any crevices in your apartment to prevent bed bugs from traveling into your space.
- Consider purchasing mattress and pillow protectors.
By following these steps you’ll keep these spooky critters away from your home!
If you have any further questions about preventing bed bugs, be sure to contact our friendly staff at Beautyrest Sleep Gallery.